We take all the mystery out of writing about your ancestors in this 6-week course. Students get hands on experience in crafting an ancestor profile from their own research. Students will start from the basics, choosing an ancestor to write about through to a complete 1200 word ancestor profile. Each week students learn new techniques to layer into their profile.
Students will also learn to write a variety of profiles including snapshot profiles and obituaries. You’ll learn how to begin and end your profiles, finding a focus and planning and organizing your profile. Once you learn to write one profile you’ll be able to apply the same techniques to all the ancestors in your tree.
Ancestor Profiles make great blog posts and work nicely in your Legacy Family History books.
Join us for this new 6-week course – no writing experience required.
Week 1 – Choosing Your Subject
- What is a profile?
- Learn who makes a great profile subject
- Gathering Research – where to look
Week 2 – Learning to Shape a Profile
- Basic elements of a profile
- Organizing the profile
- Interviewing Tips
Week 3 – Filling the Profile with Details and Description
- Using the Senses
- Lead Ins – Options for opening the profile
Week 4 – Making Your Profile Active and Engaging
- Using scenes and dialogue
- How to Show and Tell
- Writing obits
Week 5 – More than Facts and Footnotes
- Learn to give your profile depth that goes beyond the facts and footnotes
- Focus on adding decisive moments or turning points and themes
Week 6 – Bringing It All Together
- Complete a 1200 word ancestor profile
- Learn where to use profiles and how to weave them into a larger narrative.
During this 6-week course, students will complete an exercise in brainstorming and gathering material, planning a profile, writing a profile from an interview, writing a snapshot profile, writing an obit and writing a 1200 word ancestor profile.
Limited seats. Reserve your seat today.